Ah… the world of leaking boobs and breast pads! Washable/reusable breast pads vs disposable breast pads – which ones are best?
I’ve tried washable/reusable breast pads and disposable breast pads and will compare them and give the pros and cons here in my review.
The ones I’ve tried are the ones in the image above:
Prices are correct at the time of writing.
Washable/Reusable Breast Pads
- Better for the environment.
- MUCH cheaper in the long run!
- Softer on your skin than disposables.
- Come if different colours. (I’ve got black ones!)
- The fit is not as good, at least not for me and my small boobs.
- They are a bit bulkier so can be seen through tight tops.
Disposable Breast Pads
- Better fit than the washable ones.
- Are more discreet and can’t be seen through clothing.
- Different brands offer different levels of thickness so you can find one that’s just right for you.
- Slightly more absorbent
- Not good for the environment. More landfill!
- Much more expensive in the long run, even if you buy the cheapest ones.
- Not as soft as washable breast pads.
I have 2 pairs of washable breast pads that I use at night and when I’m wearing bulkier tops and then I usually keep a packet of Superdrug My Little Star New Mum Disposable Breast Pads in the house for when my washables are in the wash or drying or when I’m wearing something tighter.
I think the washable ones stay in place well – I never use the sticky things on the disposable breast pads anyway. I think it’s better to take the pad out when feeding my baby and that’s easier when it’s not stuck. I hand wash my washable breast pads in the sink and hang them to dry on the radiator or in the sun, depending on the time of the year.
When comparing the different brands of disposable breast pads that I have tried, I’m happy using the Superdrug My Little Star New Mum Disposable Breast Pads. They are thinner than the other two disposable brands (Avent and Lansinoh) but to me they are just as comfortable and I can’t even feel that I’m wearing them. I’ve never leaked through any of these 4 types of breast pads so they all absorb well. The disposables absorb slightly better than the washable/reusable ones.
Superdrug My Little Star New Mum Disposable Breast Pads are definitely the best value of the disposable kind and that is important – you go through quite a few of these, especially in the beginning.
A combination of the washable and the disposable ones works best for me! I’m still on the look-out for washable breast pads that fit better and do not show through clothes. When I find them, I’ll only use washable/reusable ones. I’ll let you know!