Will I Require A Plumbing Service to Install A Hot Water Heater?
Yes, you will require a plumbing service to install a hot water heater. Plumbing is essential in channeling water from the reservoirs such as water tanks, wells or from different water vendors to home water heaters and from the heaters to the different outlets in a house or social setting. This service may be outsourced or executed by someone in the household with basic plumbing knowledge and expertise.
When installing a water heater, it is good to note that different heaters have varying installation methods and preferences. Some only require basic plumbing knowledge while others are complex depending on size, type, model and specification. The skills required differ for the different types of heaters mainly categorized by means of fuel i.e. solar, electricity and /or gas.
Solar and electricity both require a person who can handle electrical appliances effectively and channel power correctly to the heater. Gas on the other hand needs a person with knowledge about gas handling for effective heating services.
Plumbing services during installation cater for determining flow of water, fixing pipes, setting up the water heaters and other fittings required. The different heaters each require tools and skills unique to each one of them. Here is a breakdown of the different types and their installation specifications.
1.Electrical water heater.
Electricity is a reliable yet dangerous source of fuel for any household. Any wrong setup or mismatch could lead to a lot of property or physical body damage and in the worst-case, death due to electric shocks or fire. To prevent any of these from happening it is advisable to use the correct tools and set standards in setting up such service. The tools required by the plumber for such a setup include:
- Flexible hoses.
- Tube cutters.
- Soldering flux and wire.
- Plumbers tape.
- Plumbing pipes.
- Dielectric connectors.
After ensuring all tools are ready, the plumber proceeds to install a hot water heater in the following steps.
- Set up the new water heater in a strategic place in the setting as per specifications such as ground holding capacity and location, preferably by the wall with easy access for future maintenance.
- Turn off water electricity to prevent interreferences.
- Identify ideal plumbing pipes compatible with the existing plumbing system and put them up with reference to existing plumbing rules and standards such as size of pipes, materials used and recommended connectors.
- Identify the electrical setup of the building, how it functions and the power output it produces.
- Connect the electrical panel with the heater and install an overload fuse for protection.
- Setup the thermostat to recommended temperatures.
- Fill the tank with water and turn power on.
- Observe the flow of water and make the necessary adjustments.
From the above setup, some unique skills are required and the consequences are also dire.
2. Gas water heater.
The setup is almost like the electrical heater and the only difference is the use of gas as fuel.
- These hot water production types differ in cost with the cheapest being natural gas whereas the most expensive is propane. This helps users in identifying the best fuel to use.
When the recommended steps and actions are ignored in the absence of a professional, things may unfortunately go south. The risks are high and precaution should always be taken. Here are some of the reasons you require a licensed plumbing service.
- Gas poisoning. In a gas heater setup, ventilation is priority and if ignored leads to the buildup of carbon(ii) oxide which is deadly to the human body. The carbon(ii) oxide is odorless and colorless hence detection is hard and a lot of casualties can occur. The containing room should be well ventilated and have gas detectors to help in maintaining leaks that may occur.
- Explosion risks. Natural gas is highly combustible and simple installation mistakes can lead to huge fires and /or explosions. To prevent such an occurrence gas heater should be handled carefully and most probably by individuals with expertise in the field. Electrical heaters also face a risk of exploding and burning up when the setup is inappropriate and the electrical line tampered with. Electricity issues may be more consequential since an entire powerline might be affected. The most advisable thing is to is call upon experts who will take care of everything.
- Plumber expertise. After working on various plumbing assignments, plumbers get to know about how the different heaters work and the perfect way to set them up. They also know which products are of high quality and those that do not meet the required standards. It is important to note that the said plumbers should be licensed by the government to prevent being exploited and getting low quality services.
- Warranty issues. If the hot water system breaks down and the installation was done by a licensed plumbing company, you are assured of after sales services. The plumbing company will do an analysis of the system and identify if the error occurred due to their actions. This ensures that the cost of repair does not fall on the client’s side due to a service issue.
- Government policies. The govern requires that such a set up meets existing environmental rules and standards for safety of the house and its environs. A licensed plumber ensure that it meets government regulations to avoid legal troubles.
The best option is to hire a licensed plumbing services in Barnet to cover all areas and deliver the best services. Using unlicensed plumber services or carrying out the job yourself may turn out to be dangerous for you and the people around you. Though some of them may seem a bit expensive, they deliver the best services that satisfy standards. Most of these services offer numerous various discounts on their products if they perform the installation for you. Therefore when considering installing a new hot water heater or replacing old worn out parts with better updates, the best path is consulting and contracting plumbing service providers.
Guest Article. Contains a sponsored link.