Creating A Stronger Bond with Your Newborn
Bonding between the child and parent is one of the most intense and beautiful attachments that develop over time. The desire of the parents to provide their child with love affection and protect them is what keeps life going. Younger parents, especially those who are becoming parents for the first time, can sometimes feel a bit tense and like they don’t know anything about parenting. It’s a learning curve and it will feel more natural as you get used to your new life.
Bonding with your child is very necessary, and every parent should know how to respond to their newborn accurately. According to recent research, it is shown that the infants’ and the animals’ first needs are love and bonding, not even food. This shows the importance of bonding and its role in developing a baby’s personality later on.
It takes quite a while to understand what your newborn wants and in which ways he/she feels safe and satisfied. Speaking would be a much easier way, but since a newborn cannot do that, you have to understand the signs the baby shows.
Touch is an early type of language that a baby responds to. The mother and the child’s skin-to-skin contact makes the baby feel at home and skin-to-skin with the other parent is beneficial too. Skin-to-skin helps in promoting the baby’s healthy growth and development.
Secondly, eye-to-eye contact is a sign of meaningful communication and a lovely way to connect with your baby too.
Thirdly, the facial expressions and gestures of the parents are quite attractive to the baby, and soon he/she tries to imitate them. Lastly, voice or vocalizing is an effective way of communicating with the baby. Voices and conversations keep the baby engaged so talk and sing to your baby frequently.
- Responding To the Newborn
Here are some ideas that will help you respond to your baby in a correct manner.
- Cuddle with your newborn and hold them close to you so that the baby can feel your gentle touch. Carrying your baby in a newborn baby carrier or baby sling is a great way to keep them close too.
- When the baby cries, always respond to them. They usually cry for a reason – they might be hungry, want to sleep, are in pain or just want to see you.
- When babies are close to their mothers, they feel safe, so hold your baby a lot.
- Keep your baby clean and dressed in the best way possible. To buy comfortable and unique clothes for your child, visit kid’s clothes online. Comfort and keeping your baby at a nice temperature are the most important things.
- Talk to your baby and sing songs; the sounds and voices attract the baby, and they recognize their parents through both smell and voice.
- Never scream or shout near your baby. If you’re upset about something or need to have a conversation that might get heated, do it in a different room. You need to try to keep calm when your baby is near.
- Giving your baby a massage is soothing and helps with bonding. A baby massage could be part of the nightly bedtime routine and will help the baby feel comfortable and settled.
- Try to match your routine with the baby so that when he/she sleeps, you can rest too. This will help you feel relaxed, and you can better deal with the baby when feeling rested.
- Take photos of your baby doing new things and make a journal or baby book. This will help the baby realize in later stages how much love and care he/she was provided in the initial stages and will be a lovely keepsake to look back at together.
- Play with your newborn and spend as much quality time together as you can.