Italy With Children: Travel Tips and Best Places For An Unforgettable Time
Italy is the perfect destination for any type of travel, but it is especially wonderful for a family holiday. There is so much history, rich culture, beautiful landscapes, wonderful food, and plenty to do and see. One of the most important things to do when choosing a destination for a family holiday is to do your best to ensure everyone will be happy there, and Italy is one of those destinations.
Here’s a roundup up of some top travel tips and best places for an unforgettable time on a trip to Italy with children.
- Know where you are going, time tables, how to get there before you depart: With luggage and children in tow, you’ll want to reduce any stress of ‘which train should we take?’ or ‘how do we get from point A to point B?’ You’ll also want to avoid showing up at a museum or somewhere that is more difficult to get to only to find out it’s closed!
- See the classics and your top must-see’s, but don’t pack in too much: As much as you may try to see it all, there will always be an ‘oh, I wish we had time to do X’ in Italy. It’s helpful to not pack in too much so that your kids don’t get overly tired or even bored. 8 hours touring museums in one day, for example, might just be too much.
- Try to mix in some family fun into the exploring: Every spot in Italy gives you the potential to have some family-friendly fun amongst doing what mom and dad want to do and what the kids want to do. So stop for a gelato and play a game, spend some extra time at the beach, and who knows, you just might end up creating a new family tradition that you will always tie back to this special trip.
- Be flexible: While it is helpful to have an idea of what you’d like to do during your days, you’ll want to be flexible as to leave time for any mid-day naps or time to simply relax. You’ll want everyone to be energized and in the best mood as possible, and this may mean resting a bit more than you normally would. You’ll thank yourself for it when you avoid (extra) tantrums.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes: With cobblestone streets in Italy and how much exploring you’ll do, everyone absolutely needs a pair of comfortable walking shoes!
Best places to visit
Sicily is an island full of adventure and things to do. Sicilians are also very accustomed to family activities and welcoming families into restaurants, etc. so it is a relaxing spot to visit with children. You can rent villas or apartments in Sicily for an affordable price, too! Try using websites that specialize in showcasing these kind offers, like Wishsicily for example.
Sardinia is famous for its white-sand beaches- perfect for sand-castle building, water activities, and relaxed time on the seaside with the family
Venice is a picturesque city that people of all ages can appreciate.
The Dolomites are a mountain range in northern Italy that is jaw-dropping and the perfect backdrop for a nature-based holiday.
Imagine this: the parents enjoying a glass of wine and the kids running around and playing in the open fields.
These are just some tips to make your trip run as smooth as possible and a few great places to visit, but Italy in general is super family-friendly. Have you visited Italy with children?
Article contributed by Emily Jones.