Energy Bites Recipe: Raw Chocolate Instant Energy Treats
The newest addition to my cookbook collection is Energy Bites which is a lovely little book full of healthy sweet and savoury recipes for energy bites. A full review is coming soon, but in the meantime I can share a tasty recipe from the book.
Raw Chocolate Instant Energy Treats
Raw honey delivers guilt-free sweetness, while bee pollen is a natural energizer.
Ingredients (makes 16)
- 125g (4½oz) dark tahini
- 115g (4oz) raw honey, maple syrup, or rice syrup
- 50g (1¾oz) raw cacao powder
- 25g (1oz) coconut oil
- 25g (1oz) ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Extra cacao powder, to coat (optional)
- Bee pollen granules, to coat (optional)
- Put all the ingredients, except the sesame seeds, in a food processor and whizz until you have a sticky paste. Add the sesame seeds and pulse a few times to combine – the seeds need to remain whole.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour so that it firms up a little.
- Divide the mixture into 16 evenly sized portions and roll into balls. If the mixture is too sticky, wet your hands a little.
- On separate plates, sprinkle a layer of bee pollen granules and some cacao powder, if desired. Gently roll the balls in one or the other. They should be less sticky now and easy to roll into the perfect shape.
- Put the balls back in the fridge for at least another hour before eating. Serve chilled.
Making by hand: Combine the tahini, honey, cacao powder, and coconut oil (softened) in a small bowl and beat to make a fudgy paste. Put the avocado in a separate bowl and mash to a lump-free consistency (a good pestle and mortar works really well here). Add the avocado and sesame seeds to the chocolate mixture and stir them through until combined.
One ball contains: Calories 89 • Fat 7g • Carbohydrates 5g • Sugar 4.4g Sodium 2mg • Fibre 1g • Protein 1.7g • Cholesterol 0mg
Energy Bites is available now from DK, £6.99. DK.com