Recipe: Jamaican Gingerbread with Coconut Sugar Caramel (Gluten-Free)
In this post, you’ll find a lovely gingerbread cake recipe influenced by sunny Jamaica. The strong flavours of spice and the sticky texture is also perfectly suited to the Christmas season.
Award-winning British brand The Groovy Food Company has partnered with foodie mum and TV-presenter, Alesha Dixon, to create a range of delicious, healthy recipes and show consumers how best to use the brand’s natural and unrefined foods to feed the body’s overall health and well-being.
Recipe: Jamaican Gingerbread Cake with Coconut Sugar Caramel
Cuts into 10-12 Prep 15 mins Cook 55 mins
Ingredients for the cake:
- 85g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut Oil, plus extra for greasing
- 4 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Dark Agave Syrup
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 175g ground almonds
- 50g The Groovy Food Company Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g full-fat coconut milk
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the caramel:
- 75g The Groovy Food Company Coconut sugar
- 100g full-fat coconut milk
- a few drops vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment. Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 2.
- Tip the coconut oil, agave and molasses into a saucepan, set over a low heat and gently warm to melt, stirring. Set aside to cool a little. Meanwhile sift the almonds, coconut flour, bicarb, spices and pinch salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk the coconut milk, egg yolks and vanilla into the pan of cooled syrup, then pour the contents of the pan into the dry ingredients and stir well. In a clean bowl with clean beaters, whisk up the egg whites to peaks. Beat ⅓ of the egg whites into the cake mixture, then gently fold in the rest.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the caramel sauce measure the coconut sugar and 50ml water into a pan and heat until bubbling. Cook for 2-3 mins then add coconut milk and vanilla. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 mins stirring until thickened, being careful not to let it burn. Leave to cool and thicken a little more then drizzle over the cooled cake. I kept my caramel separate so that I can control how much caramel the kids eat and make sure I eat plenty! Enjoy!
- The Groovy Food Company’s Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (283ml), RRP £3.99, is available nationwide at Tesco, Waitrose, Ocado, Asda, Morrison’s and the 500ml is available at Tesco and Amazon, RRP £7.99
- The Groovy Food Company’s Organic Coconut Sugar (500g), RRP £4, is available nationwide at Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Holland & Barrett, Lakeland, Ocado
- The Groovy Food Company’s Organic Coconut Flour (500g), RRP £3.80, is available nationwide at Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Lakeland’s, Ocado, Holland & Barrett, Amazon, Morrisons
About The Groovy Food Company
The Groovy Food Company is an award-winning British brand committed to sourcing and producing natural foods that taste delicious and nourish the body’s overall health and wellbeing.
The Groovy Food Company’s overriding ambition is to create products that not only taste great, are of the very highest quality, but do good to the body and are organically, sustainably and ethically sourced. To view the full collection of The Groovy Food Company’s recipes please go here.
In collaboration with The Groovy Food Company.