Vegan Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe
I was a vegan when I was a teenager and I was also very into baking at this point. I still enjoy baking but don’t have as much time for it now. My favourite vegan treat to bake for my friends, my family and myself was a chocolate cake and I enjoyed experimenting with different recipes, finding my favourites. Chocolate cake is something that can easily be made vegan without losing anything. Vegan chocolate cakes can be just as indulgent and amazing!
In this post, I’m sharing a Vegan Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe provided to me by Louise Palmer Masterton, founder of Stem & Glory.
Vegan Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe – Serves 12
This is a really simple and delicious large cake that can be served in many different ways. You could make a large rectangular cake with a layer of ganache on top or a double layer round cake with buttercream inside and ganache on top, for example. We have made it into a vegan black forest gateau, and it’s the perfect cake for a kids’ party too.
Ingredients for the cake
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups sugar (Louise uses soft dark brown)
- 1 ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the chocolate ganache icing
- 1 bar dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup soya/oat cream
- 3 cups (ish) Icing sugar
Directions for the cake
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix the wet in another bowl
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together (do not over mix)
- Pour the mixture into a large greased and lined baking tin.
- Bake 30-45 mins at 180c. The middle of the cake should be firm to touch, and a knife should come out clean when inserted gently into the middle of the cake. One large cake will take longer than two small ones.
How to make the chocolate ganache icing
- Melt the chocolate, and oil and soya/oat cream together.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit until you have a thick, but just about pourable, consistency.
- Then spread over the cake quickly before it sets!
About Louise Palmer-Masterton and Stem & Glory
Louise Palmer-Masterton is founder of multiple award-winning restaurants Stem & Glory; hip and trendy but accessible plant-based restaurants, serving delicious gourmet vegan food from locally sourced ingredients. Stem & Glory also offers click-and-collect and local delivery in London and Cambridge. In addition, Stem & Glory offers a range of ready meals, finish at home pizzas, and recipe kits available for delivery across the UK.