Celebrate Caribbean Food Week 2017 – Street Party Recipe Idea
Today is the start of Caribbean Food Week 2017! The celebration is organised by Grace Foods UK and it’s its sixth year now. The week is designed to educate enthusiastic home cooks on the joys of Caribbean cooking and, following from the success of last year, Grace Foods UK are also holding its second Caribbean Food Week Food Festival at Windrush Square in Brixton London from Friday 25th of August to Saturday 26th of August. The festival features Caribbean street food, live music, cookery demonstrations and much more!
I was sent a lovely hamper of products to inspire me to cook up something with a Caribbean feel to celebrate Caribbean Food Week 2017.
I did a twist on a meal that I sometimes cook for my family but made it with a Caribbean feel for the occasion. I’ll definitely make it like this again!
It’s pretty much a spicy rice and peas meal with tasty toppings — perfect as a street food meal!
- Cooked white rice (cook it in coconut milk to make it more tropical!)
- Cooking oil
- Tin of Peas & Beans (mixed beans)
- Tin of pineapple chunks
- Punnet of baby plum tomatoes, chopped in half.
- Hot & Spicy Chicken Jerk Fry mix to spice things up!
- Hot sauce!
- Cashew nuts, roasted and salted
- Sweet plantain chips
- Fried halloumi slices
- Cook the rice if you haven’t already. Fry the chopped tomatoes in the oil in a big pan or wok. Add a bit of Chicken Jerk Fry mix (a teaspoon or two) and hot sauce to your liking. Stir, then add the pineapple chunks, the beans and the rice and mix together. It should be quite juicy now! If it feels a bit dry, add some of the juice from the pineapple tin.
- Fry slices of halloumi in a bit of butter or oil until golden on both sides.
- Plate up the rice and top with halloumi, cashew nuts and plantain chips! Enjoy!
This was so tasty and a complete meal that’s so easy to make! I know halloumi isn’t Caribbean but it’s a favourite of mine and works really well with the dish. Best served with a cocktail of spiced dark rum and Grace Aloe Vera drink!
Find out more about Caribbean Food Week 2017 and Caribbean Food Week Food Festival here:
Read more about the products on the Grace Foods website.
We were sent a basket of products to include in this post and challenge. As always, all my posts are 100% honest and all thoughts and opinions are my own.